Wednesday 4 April 2012

The quiet timer.

Today was one of "those days" where the kids were all talking a mile-a-minute, all . day . long. There were a few times where I actually had to yell my answers to them, to get the point across that they didn't need to yell as they were standing right beside me. Oy vey. I suppose it's because I have 3 of them trying to talk over each other, that the noise level goes from 0-10 in a split second.

This was a conversation I had with Madison today :

Madison : MUMMY! CAN I TELL YOU YUMPIN? [mummy, can I tell you something]

me: SURE MADISON  - WHAT IS IT?!

Madison: ouch mummy! don't YELL!

me: ok are we having quiet voices now, or do I have to keep yelling?

Madison: Mummy? are you yewin' [are you sewing]

**********{insert raised eyebrow mixed with eye-roll here.}

thrilling..right ? No, she was that distracted, all day long. So Madison was distracted beyond belief, and yelling every word ; Mason was in school until 3pm and then was in the constant 'bug mode' where he essentially stands with his body always touching Madison in some way [...nice..eh?? UGH] Manning was just a mad man all over the place- and it seemed as though they all wanted food, from 3pm straight through until 7pm. I actually said after dinner, that the kitchen was closed and will re-open again for breakfast.

My sister was visiting today [Hi Rachel!! ] and we ordered Chinese for dinner- mmmmm Citi Wok. yum! Madison, swooped in like the vulture she is. Your food is not safe, when Madison is in the room. She's a humming bird, hovers near everyone's plate and just zips across the kitchen back and forth, reaching up and trying to snatch food off your plate with her hands. You turn to grab your fork, there's little fingers in your food trying to take noodles off your plate, or she's picking the piece of broccoli and stuffing it into her mouth as fast as she can. She asks if she can have some, as her hand is already burried in the red sauce. *yuck!*

So I created the quiet timer tonight- so my sister and I could attempt to eat dinner in peace. Kids can scarf back their food faster than fast, just so they are hounding you for something else. You ask them to clean their room, it takes them days - but they want dessert [in our house that's anything sweet, can be as simple as a cookie or some fruit] and their food is off their plate in record time. They were all buzzing about just as Rachel and I were ready to sit down and eat our Chinese food, while it was still hot- and the demanding questions started. The loud voices started. The bugging started. My patience was wearing thin- so I turned on the kitchen timer, set it for 30mins and I told the kids, until this beeps- I  am not here. I will not get you anything, I will not help you do anything. I do not want to speak to you, I will not answer questions. Leave me alone!

2 minutes elapsed...and Madison goes " mum? I think I heard the timer-yep, it went beep" . nice try kid....nice try.

So we ate our dinner in peace, it actually worked- that plan has been filed in the brilliant folder. ;-)


this kid, never stops eating!


No comments:

Post a Comment