Monday 23 April 2012

Living outside the bubble.

I know you've heard of living or thinking outside the box, but have you thought about living outside the bubble? This is my way of pleasantly saying...get your head out of your rear and look around you. There are people in the world with bigger problems than you. There are people in the world with bigger heartbreak than you. There are people in the world with longer stories than you. There are people in the world who need your love. There are people in the world who need you to care. There are people in the world who need you to hear them, and to listen to them.

I happen to be a person, who acknowledges these facts- and follow them. I always have time to hear someone's story, and to hear about their heartbreak. I try to help people everyday of my life, even if it's something so simple as when I gave a few cents to an old man infront of me at the drug store a few weeks ago. He was fumbling in his pocket full of pennies, to pay for his few neccessities. The clerk was rolling her eyes, holding her hand out {uuuugh rude!!} and tapping her finger. I wanted to scream something at her to make her open her eyes and see how much she's stressing this poor old man out. But instead, I smile and give the clerk the 5 cents this old man was short. He looked at me, relieved and gave me a smile that melted my heart a little bit. Why did I do it? Because I knew it would help him. I didn't think he was hard-up for money, I didn't think he needed charity, but I knew he needed help because for whatever reason , he couldn't count the rest of his coins.

I meet interesting people everyday, and sometimes...I meet not-so-interesting people. I have very little time for people who thrive on drama, and gossip. While I appreciate some juicy dirt once in a while, gossip that's hurtful and cruel..I have no time for. I love secrets. I'm like a vault when it comes to secret keeping, and people know that and trust me with their secrets.

I , on the other hand, don't share many secrets. Some people might consider that game-playing...but I've had people in the past use something I've told them in confidence, against me- and I am not about to set myself up for that..again! So- instead I am the therapist. I listen to my friends, I listen to my husband, my family. They talk, I listen and I seal the vault.

This gets on my nerves at times though, but mainly with my husband. We got into an argument tonight, because I was telling him about someone I had met today and he gave me some absent response and hurried me through my story, ultimately telling me he really wasn't concerned because he didn't know this person. 

 ...I still care.



No comments:

Post a Comment