Wednesday 25 April 2012

Modern motherhood has not taken my freedom.

I recently read an article written by Elisabeth Badinter {this article } and I am bothered, and annoyed by it- because she is so so wrong.

I am a modern mother- I am not a prisoner. Motherhood is a part of me, but does not define me. The criticisms she expressed , all have something to do with me, directly.

Natural birth... Yep. I chose to birth 3 of my 4  children completely naturally and my 1st was *close* to natural. Women are warriors, I have a high pain tolerance, and thrill excites me. Of course I wanted to see how much I could take- so I challenged my body , mind and spirit to bring my babies into this world as naturally as they were created. Heck...I almost had an unintended home birth with Mia!

Breastfeeding on demand- yep. I have breastfed all 4 of my babies, for different amounts of time, with different experiences. I nursed Mia exclusively, on demand, for her first 6 months of life- at which point I introduced a few solids and a swig or two of formula. Of the bottles she's had- my husband hasn't been the one feeding her. I plan to breastfeed Mia until 1yr, because I can- because I am healthy, because it makes her healthy, because it's the best option and because...it's nobody else's choice but ours.

Cloth diapering- you betcha. Cloth diapers today are so incredibly different than they once were. Heck, even Elisabeth Badinter could figure today's cloth diapers out. I chose cloth for many reasons. The benefits on the environment, which I'd love to preserve for my children's futures, the cost savings to our family over the years , the benefits to my children's health, among other reasons. I have always had 2 kids in cloth diapers at a time.

Homemade baby food- guilty of that one too. Call me crazy, but I like to know what's going into my family's bodies. I like to know the ingredients in their meals. I even go to the extreme of buying farm-fresh organic produce when its in season *gasp* the horror. I must be crazy.

Sharing a bed- uhm...yes. Mia slept in bed with us for the first 3 months of her life. Even now, she is in a crib in our room. My husband and I still have a very healthy sex life. We are intimate, we are close, and we love each other. It limits certain aspects of our "adventure" , having a baby in the room, but we have figured out a solution that works for us, while Mia is still young and sleeps through everything. HA. {....we had 4 babies in 5yrs people...COME ON! hahah}

Spending a lot of time with our children- yes. guilty. Our children are only small, for a short while. They don't get excited over seeing a worm on the pavement , or a dragonfly in the sky forever. I love to puddle jump with my kids, I love to get messy with my kids. I love how artistic and crafty my kids are and how willing they are to learn. We share secrets, and tell stories with flashlights under blankets. We make houses out of boxes, and they make me hamburgers and coffee in their imaginary play kitchen, and the diner we have out back. I wouldn't trade those times, for all the money in the world.

Intellectual Dowry - I have a university degree. I am well educated and have many interests. I am not bound to my home. I have found ways to use my intelligence and interests to start my own business(es) from my home, while home with my children. I hardly consider that house-arrest.

I agree that it's important for kids to be ok with being away from their mum. That's what preschool is for. I have my 3.5yr old in preschool 2 days a week , and it's wonderful for her. She loves it, and learns so much. All of my little ones will have spent 1yr at preschool (part time) by the time they start jk.

I think the part of this article I find the most bothersome, is Badinter's choice of words, reducing us "naturalistic mothers" to animals. I am not an animal because I breastfeed my child. I am not an animal because I care about the environment , and because I care about farm fresh, organic, local produce and meats.

I still get to take time for myself, I go out with friends - sometimes with children, sometimes without. I have fallen back in love with my long-time passions {all things crafty, artistic, and delicious- painting, sewing, baking, and running businesses!}. I am fashionable, and comfortable. I am a slave for stilettoes and handbags, but I love flip flops and cloth bags too. It depends on the day, the event, the occasion. But I do things I love to do, and they're not always centred around family, kids, or the home.
Badinter would fall over if she ever came for a visit...I must be a hippie, what with my solar panels, composter, vegetable garden,  breastmilk {in my breasts and in the freezer!} Baby Bullet on my counter ,  crib in the master bedroom, and cloth diapers in the washing machine.

Open your eyes Badinter, modern mothers are not prisoners, we are strong, empowered , intelligent women. We , are warriors.





3 comments: