Thursday 19 April 2012

Here's the baby advice they gave...that I didn't listen to.

So you're coming to realize....that I do what I want to do, not what so-and-so thinks I should do. So, here's some of the advice that's been offered to me...and what I took from it!

{in no particular order}

1. While standing in line at Zellers, with my infant in a baby carrier and nursing ... "You're going to kill your baby. That angle is all wrong, my daughter is a nurse and told me so" and she then touched my baby, trying to re-adjust him for me.  I looked at her, backed away so she couldn't touch him anymore, smiled and said - "thanks for the tips...I think we'll take our chances". THE NERVE!!

2. 'Back to sleep' . Well....I had 3 tummy sleepers from the get-go. I tried them on their backs , and they would just scream. at 2weeks old, when they could move their little heads, I tried the tummy- and I had a peaceful night's sleep. {well....as much as you can with a nursing newborn!} Mia is finally the first of my brood that actually prefers her back, so I embrace that.

3. "sleep while baby sleeps". Um...in theory, this is brilliant. But whoever came up with the concept, never had a baby. If I slept when my baby slept I would get nothing done, the dog would never eat, my husband would never eat, and my floors would be  covered in laundry.

4.  "don't eat chocolate while breastfeeding" . Well....come on!! none?? ...I cut back in the first 2 months of breastfeeding but that was about it- and we alive to tell the tale!

5. "don't eat soft cheeses while pregnant" - I went to France while 6 months pregnant with Manning. I ate soft, unpasturized cheeses, and seafood they advised against- and lots of chocolate.

6. "light to moderate exercise while pregnant" .... I taught Mason how to ski , when I was 3 months pregnant with Mia...oops.

7. "no egg whites before 1yr"...I've always had a hard time remembering what exactly we're not supposed to give our babies or by what age. I gave egg whites, strawberries, and peanut butter before a year..and go figure, it was the milk that gave us issues.

8. "don't put blankets in with your baby in their crib" .. but my babies love blankets, and toys! And I didn't want them to get cold. I discovered sleep sacks for Mia though, and did buy an extra large one for Manning but he can now escape out of it so it's folded and put away! I do recommend sleep sacks though, they're great. I bought ours off etsy. { http://www.weerascals.ca/}

9." no coffee while nursing" .... HA. that's ...well...happy mama, happy baby. so this girl, loves coffee. a huuuuge pet peeve of mine, is when I go into a coffee shop and order a coffee, pay and then they look at me and say " ...did you want me to make that decaf?" I got this a lot while pregnant too. I know decaf exists, and if I wanted decaf- I would have asked for decaf. In fact...give me a few espresso beans, to cleanse my palette..and to shove up your nose.

10. "read to your baby, every day" . My baby's brain is not going to turn to mush, because I don't read to her every 20 minutes. I sing songs..usually with the wrong lyrics, I recite nursey rhymes from when I was young- and those are butchered and mixed together or ad-libbed because nursery rhymes from my generation, are actually...really awful and not kid-friendly! { Three blind mice, three blind mice,see how they run. They all went after the farmer's wife, who cut off their tails with a carving knife , have you ever seen such a sight in your life as three, blind mice}


2 comments:

  1. Great post! You can give MOST all food before 1, unless food allergy. Milk can be started around 1 and honey after 1. Nannon LOVED strawberries. SO does Laney. One of their first foods. Also eggs are great source of protein. :D

    My OB and nerologist recommended 3 cups of coffee a day while pregnant/nursing, to help with migraines. I was lucky to drink 1 a week, I can't stand the taste, but if it was SOOO bad, would I have a high risk OB and a neurologist pushing it on me(all my mommy friends drank coffee, most all drank wine too!)

    No idea where that chocolate thing came from....I'd die with out chocolate!

    I agree about nursery rhymes, they were written in time of war I believe, or some were. They are horrible. Just TALKING plain english to your kids is great. They learn how words are supposed to be said, they know a lot of words. My cousin's baby was around my aunt often as a baby, my aunt talks a mile a minute, and when my cousin's baby was 2 she talked better than most 5 year old, Jaw dropping that she knew so many words, knew the way to use them, and how clearly she said them.

    Long post! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would die without chocolate too...that's just evil. it's supposeds to give babies gas or something..but I bet it's the dairy in the chocolate that does that. so , solve that problem by eating dark chocolate ;-)

    ReplyDelete