Tuesday 17 April 2012

I want my bed back!!!!

How on earth did this happen? When we had our first baby {Mason} I was strict and firm on the bedtime routine, he always slept in his own crib, in his own room and I'd breastfeed him in the rocking chair and read him a book, sing him a song, and put him to bed. Every.Single.Night. That was after his nightly bath. How wonderful , warm and loving..right? Well, yes of course it was- and it was heavenly..and I wish I could have kept that up for all of my babies but if I bathed, fed, read, sang to 4 babies every night...I'd have to start the bed time routine at 4pm......actually....that's not a bad idea.

Well- fast forward to today,with 4 beautiful sleeping beauties. Everyone has their own room, but Mia, who sleeps in a crib next to our bed and that is working perfectly fine. (and I'm in no rush to kick her out.) She is quiet, she takes 2 seconds to fall asleep- and sleeps all night. Not to mention that she wakes up singing, giggling, and smiling at me. Who would kick that love, out ?!

Well, I don't know when it happened but at some point Mason's bed started giving him bad dreams...yes, the bed makes him have bad dreams- or is it the pillow...I can never remember. So Mason's bad dream translates to him coming into bed with husband and I around 3am. Madison hears noises in her room, or the wind scares her, or she can't find "blanket bunny", or her stuffed cat bit her, or she needs to pee, or she peed the bed, or her nose is drippy, or....she forgot to finish her juice this morning. Yes...really- she will wake up in a complete panic  " *gasp* oh no! I didn't finish my juice with breakfast!!!!!" - so she crawls into bed with us around 4am. Mia wakes up around 6am to nurse, so I bring her into bed with me so I can doze while she feeds for that feeding {it's a great theory....} but if I get out of my spot..I generally lose it. We have a queen sized bed, and end up with myself, my husband and 3 kids...all at once. Manning will come in, early morning now but never wants to climb into bed- he wants to go downstairs NOWWWWWW.

Husband and I have actually left our own bed, and taken up shop in a kid's bed before. It needs to end. Madison has a hard time going to sleep in her own bed now, she used to be so good at it. Now though, she somehow convinces daddy {pssst...it's always daddy who gets suckered...} to tuck her into our bed, and then move her afterwards- but she always comes back . I'm tempted to start sleeping on the couch, until kids can stay in their own beds.

This is what I was talking about , in the co-sleeping department. It's not on purpose !! I constantly need a massage, I need to get re-aligned {one of my best childhood friends finally got her chiropractor's licence in both Canada and the U.S...I've been waiting 15yrs for her to become a chiro to actually see one. I'm not even joking.... }

Anyone have a magic solution for this? I'm the bad cop when it comes to this type of thing- sleep in your own bed, and that's that. I will walk them back to their own bed , at 4am when they come crawling into mine, and then when the tears start to flow daddy quickly goes into rescue them...and bring them back. I tell him to just hop in with them and let me sleep lol.

This is not me- but imagine...2 more of these sweet things, and a husband in there somewhere. That is how kids sleep in parents beds. Never fails.

3 comments:

  1. Sooooo true, my 3 year old who has slept through the night in his own bed from day 1 now around 3 comes into my bed every night! The 2 year old just figured out how to open door so wont be long and well the 1 year old is still in a crib, so safe for a bit yet! Husband is out of town alot, so some nights I dont mind lol, but the nights he is home and kids get ticked at him in the middle of the night for being in their spot lol, well as funny as it is lol, get old fast! Oh and there is a cat in there somewhere too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would put a gate on your door and tell them that that is as far as they can go! Designate one night a week that the gate is down and that is the ONLY night they can crawl into bed with you guys. And tell your hubby not to get sucked into the crying! It will take a couple of "tough love" nights but it will be worth it in the end to have your bed back!! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. update: last night...I slept in Madison's bed, with Mia. I went to get into my own bed and was greeted by an overly energized 3.5yr old....and a husband who was hiding his face as though he was innocent....

    ReplyDelete