Thursday 3 May 2012

The boys with the rainbow nails

Having a house of both boys and girls, there are bound to be some interesting things happening over here. I am a firm believer in letting children choose what they like, and what they don't. My kids love having tutu tea parties all together, and they love pretending to be dinosaurs {it's really funny, when they combine the two haha} . The boys like bright colours, and Madison loves doing things that are usually "boy" centred, while she still loves being a princess. I love that my kids have such open minds. My boys breastfeed their babies {with their belly buttons, usually} , when they play house sometimes Mason is the mum, and Madison is the dad- and sometimes they change it up and Madison plays the mummy, and Mason the daddy. Manning usually ends up the dog.

Yesterday I went to Toronto with my mum and sister and we ate at Biff's Bistro and saw   Yann Tiersen in concert . It was a great time! I didn't come home until tonight around dinner time and I brought the kids little presents from my trip away. I brought the boys jelly bean pooping animals {...haha} and Madison I bought an assorted pack of nail polish colours- and they are scented, and smell like different things! Of course Madison wanted the poop jelly beans, the boys wanted the polish...that's usually the way it goes. So I set up the nail salon. Everyone lined up, and waited to have their nails painted. Madison got every colour {hot pink, blue, green, yellow, and light pink} on her hands- alternating a colour each finger. Then, it was Mason's turn. I asked him if he wanted the yellow, green and blue. I shouldn't have done that- and I do know better. But of course, he didn't want just those colours, he wanted the pinks, too. Ok- bubble gum fingers it is!! Manning's turn follows and I let him tell me what colours he wanted- blue, green yellow . So I paint them on, and start packing up...he then wants the pinks. Oy. So Manning has some version of a french manicure, with bright fun colours.

I love how comfortable my boys are with themselves. They're confident, happy, intelligent little boys. They know what they want, and what they don't. Mason takes Barbie themed juice boxes to school as opposed to the Hot Wheels version {....they are lucky dad did the shopping that day hah} because it tastes better. I asked him if the kids made fun of him bringing barbie things, or dora bags, or whatever to school. He said ..." no. I just like these better, that's why I bring them" and that's ok with me. He started SK , with a full mani/pedi - and he showed them off proudly.

Of course, I do draw the line- I don't just go all willy nilly with letting the boys do the "girlie" things, I don't do their makeup, or put pink bows in their hair. But they all {Madison included and soon enough Mia too} love to put on my high heels and hear them clackity clack. They love pretending to put blush on with makeup brushes {I have a set just for the kids !} and they love anything glittery. Who dosen't though?? Why can't they make more things for boys that have glitter??? Seriously, I know my boys are not the only boys to love sparkly glitter. So until that becomes the norm in boys clothing, or general things...my little men, will celebrate their youth, with bright fun nail polish!

No comments:

Post a Comment