Monday 19 March 2012

with sunshine, comes chaos

I love the sun. I love everything that has to do with warm weather, fresh air, bright hot sun, and the outdoors. Well...ok, almost everything.

I hate the crap that comes with the sun.... bugs, sunburn, allergies, scraped knees, dirty feet, dirty faces, kids who strip down naked at the drop of a hat, body odour, sweating, heat stroke....

Getting the kids out of the house in the winter to play, was like preparing for a marathon. For 20 mins of frigid play, it was about 2hrs start to finish to get them all  ready. Now, with the warm weather...it's not quite as elaborate with layers, but I now have to explain why we can't live in a "kini" [bikini as per Madison], we can't go everywhere in bare feet, that bubbles are  for outside, sunscreen is our friend, etc,etc, etc.

Today I had 4 kiddos outside [3 of mine, 1 of my friends - my oldest was in school] and after a while it just turns into a gong-show. I think my 2yr  old has an allergy to the sun now...[how fun??] so going out in the rays won't ever be the same- I still haven't found a sunscreen gentle enough for his sensitive skin, that's also safe for his colitis.

Lesson I learned today:

Let them be. Give children guidance, help them succeed- but let them be. Kids will fight over the most ridiculous things...I have decided [today] that they can figure it out on their own. As long as nobody is bleeding, nobody is being bullied, they can figure it out and come up with a solution. I decided this as I turned my chair so my back was to the fight over who's turn it was to close a lid, and sipped my fresh coffee from my happy springtime mug and listened to my 6 month old coo, giggle, and smile.

2nd lesson : don't wear long hair down, when nursing a busy 6 month old.*OUCH!*

....walk a mile in a child's shoes, and you might just learn some of life's greatest lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment