Tuesday 12 June 2012

Free or Cheap summer entertainment ideas!

The summer is full of amazing experiences, events, and memories! Even if you don't have kids- free or cheap is always a great option when trying to find something to do on a date, with friends, or with kids.

So I'll add to this list as I learn of new things to do in the GTA specifically- but here are a few ideas I like to do all the time in the summer to keep us busy! Look in your local area to see if you have anything similar!

These are not in any particular order.

1. Swimming at the beach {that's a no brainer}

2. free concerts - Toronto has amazing free concerts all summer long at the Nathan Philips Square and at Dundas Square!

3. mini putt . This is usually an inexpensive event to do and it's fun for a date or with the family.

4. Go to the movies , and follow it up by ice cream. I used to love sharing an ice cream with my dates ;-)


5. Walk the boardwalk or beach. I LOVE doing this on a date- grab a hotdog, walk hand in hand and then get some ice cream. Such a nice day or evening :)

6. Free petting zoos - yep they do exist. We have one close to us that lets you bring your own veggies and bread to feed the animals. the kids love it!

7. Go camping. I love spending time with the family outdoors. Cooking food at the camp fire , making up stories while laying on our backs and looking at the clouds , star gazing , and catching fireflies. I love this. It can be romantic {I was proposed to while star gazing on the lake and wishing on shooting stars...I kid you not. } but it can also make wonderful family memories. It's one of my favourite things to do.

8. Roll craft paper along your fence- attach it- and paint. Fingers, brushes, faces, bodies. Paint. Shoot water guns at the paint. Watch it run. Make amazing family artwork by just unleashing your inner artist! Cut your favourite pieces of the masterpiece and frame them. :)

9. Go berry picking. I prefer eating as many as I can...as do the kids, so it's best Husband does this on his own if he's getting berries for his jam {of COURSE he makes his own jam heheh} but we love to do this as a family.

10. Visit the market! Go to different farmers markets, visit a few different town markets- some markets sell livestock, bunnies, etc . It's a great place to go and check out what your local farmers have to offer . Youd' be amazed at what your area has to offer in terms of fresh produce. Make a fancy dinner with farmer's market finds!  YUM!

5 comments:

  1. Great post Emily!! Can I be in your family? Lol

    Where is your favourite place to camp?
    Besides Aurora, where is your fave market?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha Nicole you're so funny! I love cottage country, we have yet to take the littles tent camping but I would opt for the Muskokas probably. But I absolutely love Georgian Bay and Huntsville ! I love the Stoufville Flea Market, the Aurora Market {...obviously lol} , the Newmarket market is great and I also love the road side market in Bradford, on Canal Rd. I think it's called the Canal Market. They have the BEST carrots and you buy them still covered in dirt...I don't know why- but I find those make the best baby food carrots, they were Mia's first solid food.

      As for joining my family- Anytime you want to come tag along, you are welcome! the more, the merrier :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the tips! I may check another out...but I enjoy our quick drive to Aurora for some allergy free goodies ;) Even though we don't have allergies, they are still yummy!

      I always see the one on Canal Rd and say "One day we should stop there", now we will!

      Delete
  2. I thought my hubby was the only one that Had to make his own jam :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOMAN, BRING ME JAM! seriously though!

    ReplyDelete