Friday 7 December 2012

Merry Freaking Christmas.

To all the Martha's out there, I'm clapping my hands for you. You know you who are- the mums who are on Pinterest every waking moment creating albums. Not only are you creating the albums, but you're completing the projects, and you're completing them well. You have special little cards for every morning of December leading up to Christmas, you have a easy grab craft for your kid to do every day after school, you have your kids lunch cut into themed shapes every day- you shape your pasta on the plate like a freaking Christmas tree. Well, here I am clapping my hands in your honour. No.....no that's not right, I am raising my glass of wine to you- congrats to you.

I'm kind of joking, kind of not. I love Pinterest, I browse it all the time and compile my little "Pins" and boards. I have made things I've seen on Pinterest, and I've posted some of my own creations on there. But this month, December, I feel like a creative failure. I'm so busy with everythign this month, that my kids advent calendar has only been filled 3 times. I don't have a themed craft for them to do everyday. I haven't made any Christmas tree shaped lunches and I haven't wrapped a new book for them to open every day.

How about you mums who have an Elf on the Shelf? This phenomenon is insane! My facebook page is littered with mischievous little Elf with various names. He gets into so much trouble- and where do a lot of these parents find the ideas? Pinterest. I had every intention of getting an Elf this year, but they sold out FAST. I thought about ordering online... but then I thought, I would probably forget to move him and then the concept would be lost. We have Santa on speed dial here, and when the kids misbehave- I call him to make sure he was watching. Works like a charm, they're terrified...it's hard not to laugh. The Toothfairy is also on speed dial, as is the Easter Bunny.

How on earth do you have time to keep the creativity going in your house? A lot of the people I know with an Elf, work full time and have 2-3 kids of their own. I absolutely love that you're doing that for your kids, and keeping it exciting. I feel like a failure in the mum department that I'm not doing all these cute little festive things that have swept the world, it seems. Am I crazy? I see people's elves wrapping their Christmas tree in toilet paper- and I think "what a waste of t.p!! that's money down the drain!" ...... he made a mess of cheerios all over the floor? "why would you waste that cereal like that?!" ...I'm just not built for the torture, I guess that's what being married to an accountant does to you ;-) {did you know that toilet paper isn't really on sale unless you're paying less than 21 cents a roll? ........he actually does the math in his head before putting the package in the cart}.

So to all of you creative parents out there, or caregivers- I tip my figurative hat to you, and raise my glass of eggnog. I'm glad people like you exist....but I hate you all the same. ;-)

Merry Freaking Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment