Thursday 2 August 2012

Image isn't everything.

In today's society, we see so many "ideal body image" messages. Its been this way since I can remember of course, and the ideals change it seems , every 5 or so years. I do love those adds on tv that have been playing for a while, the "media monkey" ad by the Concerned Children's Advertisers. It's so important that we instill confidence in young girls , and not fear. I don't want my girls growing up with skewed ideals of what they should look like, or that if they look a certain way, they'll be popular. I want my girls to be confident, strong, intelligent, independant and popular because other girls respect them and look up to them. If they're not the "popular girls" that's ok too of course- as long as they are happy with who they are and who they associate with. That goes the same for my boys too of course, but it seems girls have a stronger media influence.

Recently on facebook , someone posted a photo which had Victoria Secret models on the top, and Dove beauty campaign models on the bottom. Everyone praised the photo, saying " finally- real women are being represented in the media" and are admired for being beautiful, and normal. I beg to differ. Of course, it's wonderful to see models of all sizes represented in the media and very important. But a lot of women claim that the thin models are unhealthy, "look emaciated" , "look malnourished" , etc. Well, while I am no Victoria Secret model- {in my mind and in my mirror I am *wink* } I am thin, and some refer to me {lovingly...I hope} as "skinny bitch". That doesn't mean I'm emaciated , malnourished, or not normal. It means I eat healthy {most of the time anyway, I'm human after all.} I'm active. It means I have a high metabolism and it means I have good genes. Simple ...or as complicated, as that. I also know a lot of other women who are in the same 'grouping' as me body size, weight, type as me- and they are all healthy and strong as well. I think telling girls and women that the Dove campaign models are normal , is giving the wrong message also. Its telling those skinny girls who don't gain weight { I was that kid with the long spider legs and countable rib cage} that they are not normal, that they should gain more weight, that they are not healthy. It's telling kids that if their mothers are thin, like the top image {Vic. Secret} there is something wrong with them, and their mothers are not healthy.

So, remember everyone- that bodies come in all shapes and sizes. We need to embrace each body size for it's beauty, and we need to remember that body size does not reflect overall health. We should focus more on being healthy, and happy, than on the shape of our butt or the size of our bellies.

Lets work together in making sure our kids are happy,healthy, confident and strong. Give them the tools they need to succeed and to make the healthy choices they need. Start them making healthy choices as children- whether you have to hide the healthy stuff in the "junk" {I make my own chicken nuggets....with fresh , organic, homeade vegetable purees mixed in with the meat!} be sure your kids are getting the healthy foods they need to grow and be strong. Don't focus so much on calorie counting, or weighing yourself. Don't talk about "hot bikini babes" infront of your children. I have to smack my husband sometimes for comments he makes infront of the girls- I don't want them living up to THAT ideal either ;-)

If together we are stronger adults, our children will become stronger, more respectful teens and adults as they grow. Lets get the health cycle moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment