Monday 20 August 2012

Madison Olivia 8-20-2008

4 years ago today, I gave birth to my princess Madison. She came 3 weeks ahead of time, but was fierce and mighty.

The evening before her birth, I got the sudden urge to have a long hot bubble bath, shave my legs, paint my toe I remember looking my late grammy {who had passed the night of my wedding after spending some time in a coma from a fall} directly in the eyes and she said "be calm". I shot up , sat straight as a board the second she left my view- woke up. Then I had my first contraction. This was amazing, she had met Mason a few times and I have some great photos of her with him- but I really wanted her to know about Madison, and I feel like she knows. Just proves to me that she's always watching, from her lawn chair on the front lawn waiting for me to arrive , just like she used to. { I couldn't tell her I was coming or she'd wait on her lawn chair for 8hrs until I got there, worried to take a pee break incase I got there when she was inside. lol}

I let husband sleep a while, I came out of the bedroom after dealing with hair and makeup {yup, again} because my contractions weren't intense but they were enough that I couldn't sleep through them anymore. So I got myself ready, I went and watched tv, I chatted on fb with whoever was around, I emailed, etc. I remembered all of my teachings from my magical Doula the first time around- because she is now 4hrs away from me since we moved. I was calm, I was collected, I was ready.

6:20 am I decided to wake husband and he complained of course and asked if he could sleep a while longer. Well I said, no since I've been up for 2hrs already you can get your butt out of bed now. I wanted him ready incase we had to run suddenly. So I piddled around a bit more, I did iron-on transfer for the shirt I wanted Mason to wear , it said "Big Brother" and I got Mason's things organized for the hospital, because baby was giving him a gift when she arrived. I had tested positive for Strep B, so we had to go to the hospital earlier than I liked, so I could get my full dose of penicilin to keep baby safe. So we headed to the hospital around 9am, after my inlaws came over to be here for Mason. I had husband drive to McD's on our way, since I didn't eat anything before Mason came, and I was absolutely starving once he had arrived- and then husband offered me a measly dohunut. I didn't want to run into that again- so McD's full breakfast while in strong contractions it was. We walked into the hospital, I walked this time instead of wheelchair ;) , I had my McD's juice in hand and the nurses looked at me disapprovingly. "you know you're not supposed to eat before you give birth". ....ya, well...what are you going to do about it now? really. I go into triage, and wait to be called on. The nurse comes out and calls "Melissa?" ...no, I'm Emily. "Oh, what are you here for?" ..." I'm going to have a baby today". She looked me up and down, smiled, and said "sure you are honey. give me a {pee} sample and I'll check you, we'll see." ...In other words, she thought I was crazy, that I wasn't big enough to be delivering that day , etc. Well she measured me, went wide eyed and said " you're having a baby today! You're 4cm!" ... Thanks. I know.

It took some time, we waited from 9:40ish until 12pm for my doc to come in and see what was happening. Things were progressing, albeit too slowly for my liking. She was waiting for things to happen on their own, as they did so easily with Mason. I didn't want an epidural but my contractions were strong enough I was uncomfortable. I remember husband saying "don't be a super hero" and he asked the nurse for the laughing gas. I tried it and demanded she take it as it was just making me feel dizzy and drunk. I didn't know she had also shot me with demerol, I was to find this out...later.  My water wasn't breaking, and I was getting impatient, so I asked her to break my water at 1pm and she obliged. By 1:30 my active labour started and Madison was born an hour later. When Madison was born, she came out screaming, pink, and perfect. What a mightly little soul! She was beautiful , I wanted to hold her so badly and then I started to feel weird, around 10mins after her birth. I started to slur my speech, I couldn't see straight, and I was thinking fuzzy. I said to my doc, "something's wrong, why do I feel like this?" and she was getting concerned too. She looked at my chart, and saw that they had given me a dose of demerol, and she said " well...they gave you demerol to help with the pain of birth, and it didn't kick in until now- " Fan-friggen-tastic.

Took about 3hrs for the demerol to wear off, which didn't help me AT ALL during the birth process, I felt it all, even the stitch at the end...ouch. Funny thing though, I felt like the one measly stitch hurt worse than pushing a baby out.

So there she was in all her glory, all 6lbs 9oz of her, 3 weeks early. Beautiful Madison Olivia and our lives would never be the same, again.

No comments:

Post a Comment